With our extremely envious grandstand view over the sea and the majesty of the cliffs of Lyme Bay, we are always conscious of the beauty of this UNESCO World Heritage Site and all that it represents. It is our aim, to not only lower our impact as a business (without compromising standards and guest expectation) but to help bring awareness to the fragility of this special place.
We work closely with our suppliers to ensure that the amount of waste that they produce on our behalf is minimised. We source locally, not only because this area has such a wealth of wonderful produce from which to choose, but also for the good of our local economy and to lower the transportation distances of goods we require. It is also important to us that we reduce our carbon footprint and that of our suppliers so we have changed to making larger orders which are delivered less often.
Having embarked on an Energy Efficiency Action Plan drawn up by environmental specialists and having had a full Water Efficiency Assessment by South West Water we have made the following improvements with more in the pipeline! :-
Changes we’ve made:-
- To help reduce wastage from throwing away half empty small bottles we use pump action refillable bottles with bee friendly products in the bathrooms. The small bottle products we do use are bio-degradable and made from natural ingredients.
- We do not use individually packaged butter, cereals, preserves, yogurts, sauces etc.
- Re-insulated the attic spaces and boiler rooms in the hotel with top grade insulation materials.
- Installed a new energy efficient water heating system.
- We have changed our lighting to LED and other Low Energy options where suitable.
- Upgraded the landings lights and public lavatories to PIR sensors. All back of house areas and store rooms have push button timer switches to avoid lights being left on unnecessarily.
- Now ensured that where possible all future printing will be on recycled paper, in-house and for marketing material.
- Sourced environmental laundry detergent and use white vinegar for cleaning – sometimes the old ways are the best!
- Moved to recycled lavatory paper.
- Installed PIR to water flushes in the gents lavatory.
- Installed water savers to our showers which do not reduce the power and enjoyment of the shower.
- Put posters around the back of house areas from the carbon trust to encourage staff to ‘turn off’ etc
- Formed a Green Team made up of members of staff keen to help and encourage others to go green!
- Cleared an area to plant a kitchen garden with vegetables, salads and edible flowers for use in our restaurants.
- Give eco jute bags for loan in all the rooms for guests’ use; for shopping locally in Lyme Regis and reduce plastic bag usage. Also available to buy from reception so our guests can take their green jute bags home with them too.
- Compost all our garden waste and use a chipper to redistribute larger items around the flower beds which helps encourage wildlife. We also have water butts which we use to water the garden.
- We have bug hotels and bird feeders and tables in the garden.
- Installed an electric car charging station – a life-line for any electric car user wishing to visit Lyme Regis and this section of coastline.
We invite guests to participate and re-use towels wherever possible to cut down on laundering and detergent pollution.
We recycle:- Paper / Cardboard / Plastics / Glass / Cooking Oil which goes to be turned into bio fuel and all our Food waste is collected and goes off to Exeter for Anaerobic Digestion.
Everyone at the Alexandra is extremely proud of the awards and accolades we’ve been awarded. To date we are ‘Green Tourism Business Scheme’ Gold Award winners, ‘Considerate Hotels’ Considerate Hotelier of the Year 2012 Finalist, ‘Considerate Hotels’ Green Team of the year 2013 Finalist, ‘Conde Nast Johansens’ Sustainable Business of the Year 2013 Finalists as well as being active members of other Green Associations.
However, we are always looking for new ways to improve and look after the environment around us. If you have any suggestions or ideas please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01297 442010.
We try to tread carefully and look after our beautiful surroundings. We hope you do too.